20 Mar 2013

Book Review: Remember Me



Sophie Kinsella, The Dial Press, 2009

When twenty-eight-year-old Lexi Smart wakes up in a London hospital, she’s in for a big surprise. Her teeth are perfect. Her body is toned. Her handbag is Vuitton. Having survived a car accident—in a Mercedes no less—Lexi has lost a big chunk of her memory, three years to be exact, and she’s about to find out just how much things have changed.
Somehow Lexi went from a twenty-five-year-old working girl to a corporate big shot with a sleek new loft, a personal assistant, a carb-free diet, and a set of glamorous new friends. And who is this gorgeous husband—who also happens to be a multimillionaire? With her mind still stuck three years in reverse, Lexi greets this brave new world determined to be the person she…well, seems to be. That is, until an adorably disheveled architect drops the biggest bombshell of all.
Suddenly Lexi is scrambling to catch her balance. Her new life, it turns out, comes complete with secrets, schemes, and intrigue. How on earth did all this happen? Will she ever remember? And what will happen when she does? (taken from goodreads).

I've read all Kinsella's stand alone novels, not including her work under Wickham name (the name is remembering me bit of Pride and Prejudice:D). But only this book stays behind. Reading synopsis on the back cover, I know the idea would be similar as Jennifer Garner's 13 going on 30. An ordinary girl suddenly becomes "hot-chick-she-always-dreamed-of" but also changing into baaad personality. I just can't helped seeing the heroine realizing evil side of the new-her and the loss of all her old friends. But when I join a reading challenge-books in english this month, I decided I have to include it in my list. I have to complete all stand alone novels of Sophie Kinsella.
And finally I finished it. In a week, little bit slower than the usual coz I'm not really into it. I don't like the character of Lexi. The old Lexi was true-heart, selfless (she even waited for her friends before finish line in marathon) and faithful (to Loser Dave that time). But why then she has to be unfaithful to Eric? (sorry, bit spoiler) Yeah, he is boring, so-manual-book, and stingy but still Eric is honest. Lexi should get it over with him before going to an adorably disheveled architect. Not that I stands for Eric, I'm not liking his character either. It's just a matter of morality. Actually, the story is good despite of pedictable plot. It still made me laugh when Lexi is suprised she can walk on heels or do some advanced yoga movement without remembering when she learned it. Anyway, Kinsella stand alone novels that I like most is I've Got You Number.

This review is made for Reading Challenge-Books in English 2013.

NB: My first time for posting in English. Gara-gara kemarin diminta tolong untuk meng-inggris-kan summary disertasi Pak Kapus, saya jadi sadar bahasa inggris saya acak kadut. Hitung-hitung latihan, reviewnya dulu yang in-english. Lain waktu sinopsisnya juga.